Welcome!

Here I will be discussing the aspects of growing old, living young, and being the person you want to become. Also, as life is to be enjoyed, I will be including some short stories for your entertainment. Entries will be tagged Fiction and Non-Fiction for your convenience. If you only want fiction, click the button below, and the same goes for non-fiction. I hope you will enjoy my writing style and voice. Stay tuned, as I will also announce when I complete my books.

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

When the Train was Late


The train was supposed to come early, that night in the early winter. It was probably October, I was working a dead-end job selling knick-knacks designed to attracts tourists. I was I college at the time and barely made enough for rent, let alone a car. I closed most nights and would usually just walk the two blocks back to my beat-down apartment. However, it was snowing that night and, according to the ETA flashing on the screen, the train was supposed to come early. The worst part about the first snow-fall of the winter is that you’re never prepared for it. I was wearing a black v-neck sweater, black slacks, and a pair of fine-leather dress shoes, work required it. I stood alone on the platform, ear-buds in, blocking out the cold and the rest of existence. Then, I felt someone standing behind me. I looked over my shoulder to find a beautiful girl standing there wearing a white winter coat, as if she had been hoping that winter would start that day. I removed my ear-buds and did something I’d never done before. I initiated a conversation with a stranger. Well, more specifically with a female who was about my age and a stranger.

“So, are you enjoying this weather?”

What? That’s the best I had? Like a depressed weatherman who hasn’t forecast good weather in over six months, I shuffled slightly away, hoping she didn’t hear me. Then, the unexpected happened. She spoke.

“Yes, actually, I love winter! It’s my favorite time of year and the snow is just the beginning of that.”

I was hoping to initiate a bashing conversation on how much the cold sucked, and how, even though Autumn was just ending, I could wait until Spring. We small chatted for a minute, until the train pulled up.

I pushed the door button and let her get on first, like a gentleman, then carefully took my seat a fair distance away from her. Then, as is tradition when riding the train, I put one ear-bud back in and acted like I’d never spoken to her or any other human in my life. There were only two stops before I’d be getting off, and I really didn’t think much of the situation.
At the first stop, her friend got on and they started chatting about a party that was coming up that weekend. It was a pretty large event, I mean, even I was aware of it. So, I reverted back into the conversation, hoping to find out some more details and maybe even run into her there. Anything was possible for me at that point in time.

Then, the train pulled into my stop. I stood up and made my way to the door.

“So, maybe I’ll see you at the party this weekend?”

Then, I got out and left. She barely had time to nod, let alone speak.

I will never forget the way she looked at me as the doors closed and they pulled away. For once, I was grateful that the train was supposed to come early that night but didn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment